Faculty of Management Summer Course
Topic: GAME THEORY AS A MARKETING TOOL
Teaching period: 25. 7. 2022 - 5. 8. 2022
Course format: Blended intensive program (25. 7. -29. 7. 2022 in Bratislava, 1. 8. - 5. 8. 2022 online)
Eligibility: undergraduate and graduate students
Tuition fee: FREE (The course is open and free of charge for all students. Erasmus+ network students will get 70 EUR/day for the physical stay, applications for blended mobility funding are submitted via the home institution’s International Office. Students from other countries need to cover their travel, visa, accommodation, and other related costs.)
Application deadline: 31. 5. 2022
(students must be nominated by their Erasmus+ coordinators by 31. 5. 2022, other participants can sign up via email: lucia.vilcekovafm.uniba.sk)
Sending institutions: Erasmus+ and other
Game theory studies interactions amongst rational decision makers. It applies to problems in many areas such as Economics, Business, Political Science and Psychology. The course will provide students with the language and tools of Game theory for analyzing business situations involving interaction with different players like firms, clients, government, subordinates etc. The aim of the course is to acquire the basic knowledge from the various areas of game theory and its applicability in marketing. The course emphasizes the importance and benefits of basic marketing postulates in terms of the interconnection to the game theory. Emphasis is placed on acquiring skills in marketing decision-making and performing individual marketing activities of the organization, especially in strategic and marketing planning, market segmentation and market positioning, marketing research, analysis of marketing environment and consumer and organizational purchasing behavior in designing of marketing mix. The application of game theory to marketing brings added to the discipline. Instead of using traditional measures to support marketing decisions, game theory can enhance the view on customers and their buying journey. This allows marketers to paint a clearer picture of what they should do more of, and where they’d be better off saving their money.
The knowledge, skills, competences and transferable competences that a student acquires by successfully completing the course and affect his personal development and can be used in his future career:
- general knowledge and perspective
- ability to use expertise in practice
- knowledge of conditions for the use of professional methods and theory in practice
- language skills
- language skills in a foreign language
- skills to work with information
- ability to identify and solve problems
- ability to think and act creatively and flexibly
- presentation skills
- ability to work in a team
- have an active approach
- entrepreneurship, the ability to identify new (business) opportunities
- ability to think and act economically
- the ability to learn and organize their learning
Dr. Zvika Winer, Western Galilee College, Israel
Dr. Lucia Vilčeková, Faculty of Management, Comenius University, Slovakia
1. Presentation of game theory. Textbook pp. 11-43, 50-73.
2. Strategic-form Games. Textbook pp. 193-226.
3. Nash equilibrium. Textbook pp 39-44.
4. Extensive-form Games. Textbook 227-249.
5. Subgame-perfect equilibrium. Textbook 128-134.
6. Common Knowledge. Textbook pp 261-294.
7. How People Make Buying Decisions. Chapter 3.
8. Market Segmenting, Targeting, and Positioning. Chapter 5.
9. Using Supply Chains to Create Value for Customers. Chapter 9.
Principles of Marketing - Open Textbook Library (umn.edu)
Bonanno, G. Game Theory. http://faculty.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/bonanno/GT_Book.html
Course format: Blended intensive program (25. 7. - 29. 7. 2022 in Bratislava, 1. 8. - 5. 8. 2022 online)
• At least 3 higher educations institutions (HEI) from 3 Erasmus+ universities need to participate and an inter-institutional agreement is needed before the mobilities are realized.
• Faculty of Management, Comenius University is the coordinating and receiving partner, other institutions are sending institutions.
• The physical activity will take place in Bratislava, 25. 7. - 29. 7. 2022, followed by the virtual part 1. 8. - 5. 8. 2022.
• We are planning to welcome 20 students from the Erasmus+ countries from at least 2 Erasmus+ universities. The mobility for those students will be organized as student BIP mobility within the Erasmus+ framework.
• Other partnering universities are welcome to nominate their students directly to email@example.com.
• The extent of the course is 3 ECTS which will be recognized by the sending institution based on students learning agreement.
Tuition fee: FREE
• The course is open and free of charge for all students.
• Up tp 20 Erasmus+ network students will get a grant 70 EUR/day for the physical stay
• Applications for blended mobility funding are submitted via the home institution’s International Office.
• Students from other countries need to cover their travel, visa, accommodation, and other related costs
Application deadline: 31. 5. 2022
Erasmus+ network students must be nominated by their Erasmus+ coordinators by 31. 5. 2022 at lucia.vilcekovafm.uniba.sk
Students from other universities can apply via email lucia.vilcekovafm.uniba.sk
- The course is open and free of charge for all students.
- Up tp 20 Erasmus+ network students will get a grant 70 EUR/day for the physical stay
- Applications for blended mobility funding are submitted via the home institution’s International Office.
- Students from other countries need to cover their travel, visa, accommodation, and other related costs
Erasmus+ network students must be nominated by their Erasmus+ coordinators by 31.5.2022 at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students from other universities can apply via email email@example.com