Development of Business Ethics
in the Slovak Business Environment
Project supported by the Slovak Research and Development Agency under the contract No. APVV-16-0091
Project start: 1 July 2017
Project end: 30 June 2021
In our business environment so far the idea became only to a small extend conventional that for a long-term and effective business are essential not only high-quality and economically rational laws but also the respect of ethical standards that create normative stability both in the business and for the business. Any international indexes and surveys on the quality of the Slovak business environment in respect to the presence of corruption and unethical practices show that it is high time to stop viewing business with ethical skepticism, and to try to introduce the business ethics regulators into the business in a systematic and professional manner. Our research studies so far suggest that at the macro-level there is a long-term absence of systematic support for ethical business, and the current level of ethics in business in our country is achieved thanks to the initiatives of various business clusters, non-profit organizations and individual business subject, which, however, lack systematic character. Business ethics cannot be applied into the companies without its systematic and long-term management. The mission of this project is to provide companies with a concrete mechanism of application of business ethics. Based on the critical analysis of the current state, of the cutting-edge scientific knowledge and of the practical experience in Europe and globally, the main aim of this project is to create a comprehensive Integrated model for long-term development of business ethics for companies operating in the Slovak business environment (taking into account the size of companies according to the number employees).
Based on the critical analysis of the current state, of the cutting-edge scientific knowledge and of the practical experience in Europe and the world, the main objective of this project is to create a comprehensive Integrated model for long-term development of business ethics (IMLDBE) for business subjects operating in the Slovak business environment.
1. Based on a critical review to determine what are the real causes of frequent violations of ethical standards in the business environment in Slovakia, focusing on the reasons for corruption, cronyism and fraudulent conduct of business subjects.
2. To identify best practices and best experiences from already carried out programs in the field of ethical standards and mechanisms on the basis of:
a) Experiences and knowledge of NGOs which deal with issues of corruption, whistleblowing and fraud in the Slovak business environment based on their own activities in respect to the application of ethical standards in practice;
b) Best practices acquired from application of business ethics in companies with Slovak ownership;
c) Best practices from the application of business ethics in multinational companies operating in Slovakia;
d) Experiences acquired during application of business ethics in business environment with low level of corruption – in Austria.
3. Validation of the functionality of the Integrated model for long-term development of business ethics (IMLDBE) in organizations with Slovak ownership differentiated according to the number of employees.
4. Development of the methodology for application of the Integrated model for long-term development of business ethics (IMLDBE) for organizations with Slovak ownership differentiated according to the number of employees.
5. Development of a concept of the Centre for Business Ethics (CEBE) at the Faculty of Management at Comenius University in Bratislava.
6. Elaboration of the guidelines for state decision-makers in respect to long-term development of ethics in the economy in our country.